If you are a Duke neuroscience PI or trainee, including graduate student, postdoc, technician, or postbacc, we welcome you to apply as a DUNE mentor. We envision our mentors developing long-lasting professional relationships with students as they embark on their research career. Mentor responsibilities include:
- developing an intellectually engaging project for your student
- providing the hands-on, individualized training required to perform the project, such as conceptual background, experimental/analysis methods and communication skills
- regular meetings and communication with your student for both research and mentoring purposes
These projects should model a rotation-style project, targeted for a high school experience level. Mentors should consider allowing space in the project design for the student to bring their own creativity to it. Projects should develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Mentors will receive support throughout the program. This includes:
- Project management training
- Inclusive mentoring training
- Peer review and feedback on your project proposal
- Opportunity to attend DUNE programming
- Regular communication with DUNE team members
If you are interested in mentoring a DUNE student, please email email@example.com.